Lumigan Eyelash Enhancer Usage and Benefits
Lumigan contains an active ingredient Bimatoprost that’s a synthetic prostamide analog. The pharmacological impact of Bimatoprost is very like the impact of prostamides that are natural substances in comparison with Bimatoprost. It’s believed to reduce intraocular pressure contributing to outflow of fluid in the eye.
Lumigan (Bimatoprost Ophthalmic 0.03%) eyelash growth serum enhances your length, volume and thickness of your lashes. 4 weeks supply. To maximize the growth of your beautiful eyelashes, the Lumigan Eye Drops 0.03% should be applied continuously before bedtime for 12-20 weeks. Remember, once dosage stops, the eyelashes will be be back to its usual length. So ladies, be diligent in using Lumigan Eye Drops!
Other non-medicinal ingredients of Lumigan
citric acid monohydrate
sodium phosphate dibasic heptahydrate
sodium hydroxide or hydrochloric acid.
Lumigan is usually prescribed to the patients suffering from glaucoma which is associated with high intraocular pressure (IOP). IOP may cause optic nerve damage which leads to blindness for which there is no cure nowadays. Lumigan is believed to slow down the disease progression.
Also Check :
Lumigan- Mechanism of Action.
Bimatropost is to low intraocular blood pressure inside the eye of the people suffering from open-angle glaucoma or intraocular hypertension. Both diseases are the result of a natural process of fluid forming inside a human’s eye, but in case when the outflow of the fluid formed cannot be performed or is troubled the named diseases can develop which makes the pressure inside a patient’s eye increase. Lumigan eye drops when dropped into a patient’s eye are to increase the outflow of the liquid from the eye. The outflow of the liquid provides the decrease of pressure onto the optic nerve and is thought to prevent the damage of the nerve. The damage of the optic nerve usually leads to blindness, so, decreasing or preventing the optic nerve damage is supposed to slow down the process of the disease development.
Lumigan- Before Use & Precautions.
- Lumigan should be used only according to a doctor’s prescriptions. Moreover, it may be
prescribed for treating not only the diseases from the list. The dosage and prescription should be strictly followed. Though, if a patient is not sure why he/she has been prescribed to follow the administration of Lumigan, he/she should ask a doctor about it. Neither a change in administrating Lumigan nor a stop of using it should be made by a patient without consulting a doctor.
- Lumigan should not be given by a patient to anyone else even if he/she has similar symptoms as the patient does. The medicine can do harm to people if not been prescribed by a doctor as it has several contraindications.
- Lumigan should not be used by people suffering from allergy to any of the ingredients of the medication.
- Before use a patient should inform a doctor about any medical conditions, such as pregnancy, breast-feeding, planning to get pregnant, or diseases he/she may have, or any other facts about the patient’s health which on his/her opinion may be significant. Also, a patient should inform a doctor about the medicines he/she administers as some medications can interact with Lumigan and affect a patient’s condition.
- Patients with certain eye conditions should be cautious about the administration of Lumigan. They should consult a doctor on the way of how Bimatoprost may affect their eye condition and how their medical condition may influence the effectiveness and dosage of Lumigan. Sometimes patients with certain eye conditions may need to undergo special tests or be under supervision during the period of treatment.
- Patients with kidney or liver problems should consult a doctor before starting to use Lumigan. In some cases such patients may need to undergo special test on recovering their liver and kidney condition or follow Lumigan administration under the supervision of a specialist.
- Lumigan is not recommended for use to pregnant patients unless the positive effect of the medication exceeds the risks. A patient should consult a doctor in case of getting pregnant or planning to get pregnant while following the course of treatment.
- No special studies have been made on recovering the data on whether Bimatoprost passes into breast milk. A breast-feeding patient should be aware that Lumigan may affect a baby. A breast-feeding patient should consult a doctor on this matter and strictly follow the prescriptions.The dosage and safety of using Lumigan has not been determined for children.
The most wide-spread side effects are:
- conjunctival hyperemia
- growth of eyelashes
- ocular pruritus
- ocular dryness
- visual disturbance
- ocular burning
- foreign body sensation
- eye pain
- pigmentation of the periocular skin
- eyelash darkening
- increased blood pressure
- increased tearing
- inflammation of the eyelid
- muscle weakness
- sensitivity of eye to light
- vision problems (e.g., decrease acuity, blurred vision)
Bimatoprost is supposed to change the colour of a patient’s eyes. It may contribute to increasing a brown pigment in the iris. This effect may be permanent and occurs slowly. The change may not be noticeable for several month or years during the treatment. Bimatoprost is also reported to cause growing, thickening and darkening of the eyelashes.The patient applying Lumigan should bear in mind the fact that all medications may cause side effects, but they do not necessarily occur in each case of administration. A patient should consult a doctor if any of unusual signs above occur. Although, the side effects listed above are not met very often, a patient should consult a doctor as soon as possible to prevent a further development of the listed side effects.Some patients may experience side effects other than those listed above. In this case a patient should immediately consult a doctor to prevent further development of side effects and exclude probable health problems which may be the result of the occurrence of such side effects.
Lumigan are used in cases of open-angle glaucoma and increased ocular pressure (IOP) or ocular hypertension.The recommended dosage is 1 drop in the affected eye before going to bed. The medicine is not recommended for use more than once a day.A patient should strictly follow a doctor’s prescription even though they can differ from those given here. Patients with some medical conditions or diseases may need to undergo a special examination before the medication is prescribed. In some cases a patient is supposed to follow the treatment being monitored by a health care provider or a doctor. A patient should not change the dosage or a general way of administration the medication without consulting a doctor.
To use Lumigan eye drops a patient should:
- Wash his/her hands
- Remove contact lenses if he/she wears ones
- Remove the cap from the bottle and place it onto a clean surface
- Tilt his/her head back and look upwards
- Gently pull the lower eyelid with his/her index finger down
- Apply one drop of Lumigan into the eye
- Be sure that the tip of the bottle does not touch the eye or the areas around it, otherwise, it can contaminate the tip with the bacteria from the eye (the further use of the same bottle with the contaminated tip may provoke a serious infection of the eye to appear)
- Gently press the inner corner of the eye for approximately 30 seconds which prevents the medication from getting into the bloodstream via the tear duct, otherwise, it can cause some of the side effects to appear or enforce them
- Make the similar actions in the same order with the other eye if it has been prescribed by a doctor
- Wash his/her hands to remove any medication from their surface
- Use other eye drops if you follow the administration of any other ones not less than 5 minutes before or after the use of Lumigan
- Put on contact lenses not less than 15 minutes after applying the medication into his/her eye.
If a patient misses a dose he/she should apply Lumigan as soon as possible. If the time of delay is twice larger than the scheduled break between applying the 1st and 2nd dose then a patient should apply 1 dose of Lumigan and continue following the schedule prescribed. A patient should not apply a double dose of the medication at once.
Lumigan Interaction with Other Medicines
A patient should tell about all the medicines administered he/she follows, no matter if they have been prescribed or non-prescribed to the patient. It is necessary to tell a doctor about herbal preparations, vitamins and mineral, dietary supplements before Lumigan is prescribed as Bimatoprost can interact any of the ingredients of the preparations taken by the patient undergoing treatment with Lumigan. Such substances as caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, street fumes or any drugs may also influence the effectiveness or the occurrence of side effects of the medication; that is why a patient should tell a doctor if he/she is under the effect of the named substances.
In case a patient takes any preparations from the list of the mentioned ones a doctor may prescribe a special dosage of Lumigan, or recommend to change any of the preparations to another one, or prescribe a thorough monitoring while undergoing treatment, or leave everything as it is.
Overdosing Lumigan. Storage and Disposure.
Although no severe cases of Lumigan overdose have been reported yet the overdosing with Lumigan is possible. It can be suggested that the side effects from the list may occur or get more severe as a result of overdosing. As no special antidote for Lumigan overdose is known a patient should get emergency medical help if he/she gets overdosed, otherwise, the side effects may occur or intensify. When having overdosed a patient may experience any of the signs from the list of the side effects of Lumigan or the side effects may get more severe.
It should be stored at a room temperature and kept out of reach of children and pets. A patient should consult a doctor on how to utilize the medication which is no more needed or have expired.